Thursday, April 29, 2010

Brand New Outlook

On Tuesday, I had the pleasure of attending the PRSAChicago luncheon with over 120 other industry professionals.  The topic of the luncheon was "Making Communications More Effective with Social Media Tools" and it included a public relations all-star panel.  While the content was fantastic, one of the biggest things that I personally got out of the luncheon was the true sense of community within the public relations field.

The table that I sat at contained a mix of people that were relatively new (graduated last year) and veterans (20+ years) in the field.  As we chatted before and after the panel, the one thing that struck me was how interested they were in my background and what I was doing now.  Not only that, but they were quick to offer suggestions, advice, and general words of encouragement to me.  More than once I thought to myself that I must have traveled across some unseen boundary between our world and an alternate universe, because I have rarely experienced a group of strangers so willing to open up and share knowledge.

I must point out that this experience was not only confined to our table but extended to other attendees at the luncheon, including the president of the PRSA-Chicago chapter.  I have a new found outlook and renewed vigor in my search for a home within the PR and Communications field.

This is not just where I want to be, this is where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment